Ender 3 Pro and V2 to Switchwire Mod
This is a conversion of the Ender 3 Pro and V2 to a Switchwire type coreXZ printer. My goal was to use most of the Ender 3 components while maintaining the core Voron design look and feel.
- This mod uses most of the key components from the Ender 3 Pro (E3P) while providing a coreXZ capability. The highlights of this include:
- The frame is all E3P.
- The electronics are the stock Switchwire ones, but the E3P 24V power supply is used. I wanted to get all the electronics under the deck as this follows the Switchwire design. I had to get a little creative with the mounts to make this work. I did not include the LCD display. Mainsail (MainsailOS) is so amazing, I never use the LCD on the Voron 2.4 so I left it out. It can easily be added.
- The deck is easily printed in 4 sections.
- The XZ and gantry are slightly modified from the Switchwire baseline. The X axis rail is 300mm and is a tight squeeze on the shortened 2020 extrusion. I wanted to keep the standard rail length in case I wanted to build a stock Switchwire.
- The Y axis uses 2 rails. I liked the look of it and it seemed more stable that way. It also simplified the Y belt routing through the extrusion. I also removed the springs on the bed corners and replaced them with spacers. The spacers come off the E3P V-wheels. With the bed mesh probing, this seemed like a better approach than worrying about the bed changing positions if the knobs rotated/loosened.
- This configuration also worked without too much modification to the stock E3P wire lengths.
- The E3P motors can be reused if you can pull off the gears. Thingiverse has a printable gear puller (I haven't tried it).
Images / CAD
I have included several images and the Fusion 360 CAD model. CAD files and images are included in the repository
A BOM has been added that is based on the baseline Switchwire. This will not be perfect as the Ender 3's get a lot of mods by their owners. It should help with most of the key items to make the MOD.
Use the baseline Switchwire configuration available in the Voron-Switchire repository. The Voron-documentation has excellent instructions for making the adjustments.
This mod uses a combination of original Switchwire and modified parts. Most of the parts are modified/new as the Switchwire and Ender 3 frames are much different. I kept all the Voron naming conventions to provide consistency. The following is a listing of the STL files, organized by location:
- 2020_ziptie_clip (quantity as required to suit your wiring organization)
- [a]_xz_tensioner_x2 **
- [a]_upper_idler_support_b_right **
- [a]_upper_idler_support_b_left **
- upper_idler_support_a_right **
- upper_idler_support_a_left **
- keybak_gantry_anchor **
- keybak_idler_bracket **
- 2020_MGN12_guide_x2.stl **
** Denotes STL files that have not been modified from the baseline Switchwire design and are located in the Switchwire repository