Mantis Dual 5015 Toolhead by Long
Note: updates are staged at https://github.com/mandryd/VoronUsers/tree/master/printer_mods/Long/Mantis_Dual_5015. Go there for most recent stuff.
- Single MGN9 or MGN12 X-Rail. Just print out the corresponding carriage.
- Rapido HF/UHF
- Mosquito (from usermod by WingZero)
- Crazy Volcano with Dragon or Mosquito Heatsink
- Dual 5015
- Minimum layer time can be much lower. I'm using 5 seconds conservatively on 0.2 layer height.
- Left to Right airflow balance is no longer an issue
- Single piece ducts without splitting and fewer bends = less duct losses. Dual 5015 is probably at least 3x airflow compared to a single split 5015.
- Mantis tool head weighs ~290g including the carriage
- Spec AB is ~470g. Spec AB with gailieo is ~375g. Stealthburner beta is ~410g.
- Using single MGN9 removes an additional ~140g from the Y axis on a 300.
- Single piece carriage and hotend mounts stiff and light.
- Detachable Bed Probe (magprobe)
- Decreases weight, allows shrinkage of the carriage, and movement of weight closer to the extrusion.
- Direct probing of the bed surface. Allows usage of any bed surface.
- Weight moved closer to the rail for less lever.
- Hotend is moved closer the rail +y, and upwards +z
- Fans are rotated so the mass is further back.
- Decreased length from extruder to hotend
- Bowden from mini-sherpa to Dragon is only 19mm
- X-endstop relocated to carriage. Easy to transition to umbilical if desired.
- X-endstop must be relocated because the Mantis carriage is smaller and does not hang down far enough to trigger the endstop pod.
- Y-endstop can still be from the spec endstop pod on the right xy-joint, however I highly recommend relocating the y-endstop to the right a/b drive.
- Ditching the cable chain would save around 150g on the x-axis for a Voron 300.
- Area around heat block is very open. Ducts give wide berth to block to decrease melting issues.
- With spec front idlers, you will lose space at the front corners of the bed ~10mm in X at each idler.
- There are now alternative idlers that allow use of Mantis with minimal to no loss of build area
- Some parts like the ducts and hotend mount are a bit tricky to print.
- Thumb screw for the mini-sherpa will not fit. Use a buttonhead to save space.
- Standard 12mm spring should work with the button head.
- I used 6mm diameter x 0.9mm coil diameter x 10mm length springs for extra clearance, but this is unnecessary.
- (Replaces stock 6mm x 1mm x 12mm spring)
- Updated CADs to include the fan braces.
- Dragon CAD now includes both versions of the ducts (normal and higher flow variant) and also the hotend mount that braces the sherpa mini.
- There's been a bunch of additions on the usermods, so go check it out!
- Added Hotend_Mount_Dragon_v1.040_sherpa_brace.stl.
- This is a modified hotend mount which mates with a modified housing_front that triangulates the sherpa mini mounting.
- Since the modified housing_front is an annex part, it will be hosted on their usermods under sherpa mini (I have a PR in there now).
- Added duct_dragon_v1.043e. These are a newer version of the ducts for Dragon. These have slightly less build plate clearance but bigger duct outlets, so higher cooling potential. I've been running them for a while now and haven't crashed the ducts into a print yet.
- Uploaded Duct Braces that support the fans at the rear. These bolt from the upper duct arms to the rear of the 5015s to the motor mounts of the sherpa mini. This greatly improves the resonance graphs in X (attenuates the 125hz peak on the X axis).
- I received a report of heatcreep using a winsinn 3010 with Rapido. Just something to be aware of if you're planning to use that combo. I personally haven't had issues with rapido, but I'm using a sunon 3010v1. (apparently the jamming was caused by an overheating extruder motor, not heat creep)
- TheWarolf has added LGX Lite compatibility in his repository of Mantis mods.
- Usermods has been broken out of the main repository. Everything is still there, but it is now located here
- added Duct_Brace_v1.stl. This connects the ducts together via the two upper 5015 mount holes reducing the lateral motion of the 5015 fans and resulting in an improvement in the ADXL graph (helps mitigate a resonance at ~110hz). I didn't have issues with ringing before this brace, but it does make the graph look nicer.
- Uploaded slightly updated ducts (duct_dragon_v1.041, duct_rapido_HF_v0.03b, duct_rapido_UHF_v0.03b, duct_dragon_crazy_volcano_v1.0). This will be an easy swap for your existing ducts.
- These ducts increase the diameter of the lower "peg" on the ducts. This tightens the lower joint of the hotend mount to duct and should help with the ducts pivoting over the joint of the upper duct to hotend mount.
- Updated the CAD files to match these updates.
- Added Mods by Usermods by TheWarolf
- ERCF Hotend mount which incorporates a filament sensor
- Modified MGN12 carriage which fits the sailfin extruder
- Umbilical mount which mates with the popular cable gland people have been using for umbilicals.
- Added CAD files for Mantis with Crazy Volcano and Rapido (note that rapido is still in development)
- noticed a slight interference between the hotend mount and the ducts. Adjusted so no more interference. This should only affect you if you're using crazy volcano.
- Rapdio UHF ducts
- Added ducts that are 8.5mm longer than the Rapido HF ducts to support the UHF.
- Don't forget to also make the longer Rapido UHF magprobe
- Updated readme so it is now in markdown. No more readme.pdf!
- Added ducts for Rapido HF v0.02 under 2.4.
- You will also need to the rapido hotend mount. When installing the sock, the Phaetus logo should face directly forward. The wires for the hotend should come out the right.
- As with all my ducts, these have been optimized for the particular hotend that is being used. As I have not yet received my Rapido, I can't confirm that these ducts/hotend mount works correctly yet.
- Rearranged files somewhat to accomodate a growing number of ducts
- Rapido Hotend Compatibility
- The Rapido hotend is the same length as the Crazy Volcano/Dragon and should work using the Crazy Volcano ducts and magprobe. I will be confirming part cooling CFDs and will make adjustments to make it fully compatible soon. I have a Rapido on order so will be able to personally test this as well.
- The Rapido sock is very chonky. For optimum part cooling, I will probably need to rotate the hotend slightly (slightly modified hotend mount part). When mounted into the existing dragon heatsink holes, the triangular sock of the Rapido isn't square to the front of the carriage at the bottom (will need to confirm this when I receive mine).
- I'm considering making two sets of ducts for Rapido
- One where the airflow clears the Rapido Sock
- Second set of ducts where the sock is trimmed slightly at the bottom to allow for slightly bigger duct outlets and slightly better part cooling. Trimming the sock will allow a better angle of attack for part cooling to the nozzle.
- Note that both of these part cooling ducts will outperform the standard Mantis ducts because the Rapido is narrower at the bottom than the Dragon.
- Added WingZero's Mosquito Hotend Mount for Mantis using 2510 hotend fan. Thanks for a lot of work and testing for this mod!
- Added my mod of WingZero's mosquito mount which uses a 3010 fan instead of the 2510. This mount is still alpha and needs more testing for confirmation.
- Crazy Volcano is now compatible
- Added beta part cooling ducts and mag probe that should work with dragon/crazy volcano block.
- Note, to use the crazy volcano with dragon heatsink, the only different files you will need are the crazy volcano ducts (located in the 2.4 folder), and the longer magprobe (in the magprobe directory).
- The part cooling ducts require cutting the rear fan ears off of your 5015s. If you dont want to cut the ears off your ducts, I will post higher mounting 5015 ducts soon, or message me directly.
- Updated MGN12 carriage (Carriage_MGN12_v1.040.stl). Updated the wire path from the magnets and x-endstop switch so they don't go through the hotend exhaust path. Also improved the hotend exhaust path so it should flow a bit better.
- Added a usermods folder. Adding the mods in and crediting the creator in the filename was getting unwieldy, so Mantis now has a usermods folder.
- Added a mount for Hartk PCB Board by Charles
- Added Mantis Toolhead PCB by Henrikssn.
- Added Mgn9 Klicky Carriage by Henrikssn. This is a modded single mgn9 carriage that works with Josar's Klicky magprobe
- Added Flat Flexible Cable (FFC) mod by Be Water. Allows use of the FFC Kit by Schmidt Proto with Mantis
- Added carriage for Mantis that uses a single MGN9 linear rail. I am currently using this with a RobotDigg 440 SUS rail and it's working well. Thanks to Bob Arctor and Henrikssn for their bravery in testing the early versions of this.
- Updated Readme_v1.07.pdf. Added info for the MGN9 Carriage, fixed some wording, added link to Rama's option for narrow front idlers.
- Added ducts for Voron 2.4 that are 1.5mm shorter. Decreases the clearance from 3.5 to 2mm. No real advantage except if you like the shorter duct arm appearance.
- Now compatible with Voron 1.8!
- updated readme
- changed directory structure for clarity
- magprobe dock arms v1.5 - new version of dock arms (for bed and gantry mount) which are tighter and longer (thanks to ShinyPants for lots of testing with these)
- carriage_v1.037 - minor revision adds a hole on the left side for ADXL mounting (thanks koonweee)
- chain_anchor_v3.2 - moved the front ziptie location higher. added a rear ziptie location. (thanks koonweee)
- mantis_v1.037a.step updated - includes the above changes